Research Opportunities with the Center for Sustainment of Trauma and Readiness Skills (C-STARS)
The C-STARS Program is the first in the country to help prepare U.S. Air Force medical personnel to take care of traumatic injuries in patients during war time. Funding opportunties are available through this program in the following areas:
- Enroute Care: Focuses on continuum of care during transport of patients from point of injury to point of care.
- Expeditionary Medicine: Focuses on improving expeditionary medical care during contingency operations.
- Force Health Protection: Focuses on prevention of injury and illness, as well as the detection and early recognition of emerging threats.
- Human Performance: Focuses on enhancing personnel performance in challenging environments.
A more detailed description of the focus areas can be found here: SGR Thrust Area Definitions.
Both Operations & Management (O&M) and Research & Development (R&D) proposals are accepted.
- used for projects to develop planning documents or feasibility studies
- usually of short duration (less than one year)
- funds of no more than $250,000
- used for projects aimed at development, testing, and evaluation of prototypes and processes
- usually of longer duration (two or more years)
- budget depends on length and scope of project
A more detailed description of the types of projects that can be funded can be found here: O&M vs. R&D.
There are two main calls for applications, in January and July. For 2016, the deadline will be pushed to February or March. Information on the submission process can be found here: CSTARS Submission Process
These projects also have specific Science and Technology Information processes that must be followed before information is released to the public. Please see the guidelines here: CSTARS STINFO
If you have any questions, need clarification on any of the above information, or would like to discuss a research proposal, please contact:
Rance Bryan, Lt. Col., USAF, NC
ACNPC-AG/Trauma Nurse Specialist/Instructor
Chief Nurse/Deputy Director CSTARS STL
St. Louis University
Department of Trauma/Critical Care
3635 Vista Ave at Grand Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63110